Saturday, March 03, 2007

Lately...

Thailand, Thailand...so many sensations to express my words feel sort of inadequate. I think first and foremost Thailand has something for everyone. There is really not much that cannot be found here, perhaps snowfilled landscapes might be difficult to locate...but other than that anything can be found or bought.

The country varies alot in it's scenery and it's people. And also it's actions. According to culture it is impolite to wear anything else but a shirt that covers your shoulders and pants that cover your knees. But then you will walk in Bangkok or other places and see thai people wearing tiny skirts and sleeveless tops. According to culture you cannot have a boyfriend, yet most girls have boyfriends. According to culture, homosexuality is not accepted, yet this country has a large homosexual population and is known for its gay activities. Hence...they also have the saying " Same same, but different!".


Since I last wrote I have been mostly spending my waking hours working. have you checked in on our website lately? www.swythailandgotene2007.blogspot.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to say that your comment show you have little or no understanding of Thai culture. There have never been taboos on homosexulality as Buddhism teaches tolerance, and gays are almost universally accepted as part of society. You comment about clothes applies mainly to religious sites, and common sense applies, as anywhere, about what is apprpriate and what is not.

Rebecca Allen said...

Well, what can I say? My comments are solely based on what the thai people I live with are showing me, telling me and admonishing me in our daily life. And again, as I said before, you will find both yes-sayers and no-sayers in Thailand. Perhaps we are living in a conservative village?